Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sing, Sing, Sing...Lessons of Love, Bread Baking, and Happiness

As a begin to write today, I notice that it is 2:56pm, and it's a Tuesday. I have just put two loaves of bread into the oven to bake. The intensely perfect smell of baking bread, sleeping babies, and the hum of my lap top set the scene for me to regale you with my thoughts today.

I hurrah now, for many reasons, but the first thing that pops into my head is that in less than 3 hours, one of my favorite shows will be on TV-Glee. Now love it or hate it, you must admit the show elicits a response from people, and generally its a fairly passionate one. Well, I for one, love it! I know that sometimes the subject matter can be a bit racy and inappropriate, but honestly the sheer talent of the cast, and the songs that they sing bring me such joy that I could really care less what the episode might be about, I just want to hear Leah Michelle sing one more song! Last seasons' episode where Ms. Michelle's character Rachel sang Lady Gaga's "Poker Face", was one I'll never forget, and probably my favorite. Why this love for modern musicales TV comedy/drama? Well, many reasons. First, I grew up watching Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland, Cyd Cherise, Doris Day, and the like perform and sing the heck out of whatever they were doing. And I loved it, every single second. I dreamed I could dance like Judy, and sing like Doris, and to this day I am teaching my own children songs I learned from those lovely ladies' movies. 

I am so thankful to my own Mama and Grandma for exposing me to these rare talents; I believe they had a part in shaping my personality and choices. You see, singing, music, art, is at the very basis-the very spine, of who I am. I am at my most vulnerable, strongest, most beautiful (IMO) when I am singing.  I took up acting at a very young age and even, for a time, pursued it as a career. I'll not get too deeply into what led me away from the craft, but needless to say, I miss it dreadfully. I spent my last year of high school attending Langley Fine Arts School, and then moved to Edmonton and the UofA to pursue the study of drama more carefully. When I chose to step away from acting, I left a part of myself behind, that even now I haven't recovered...it's on a stage somewhere performing "Much Ado About Nothing" as Hero, or "Othello" as Desdemona (ah Master Shakespeare, how do I love you, let me count the ways).  But, I have always, and I mean always been a singer. I am no professional, let's be clear on that, and I have always shied away from the possibility of commercializing myself.  The part of me that is singer is also worshipper and the two are interconnected with no chance of separation. My relationship with the Lord through ups and downs and life, has always been clearest to me, and closest when I am worshipping in song. Not even publicly necessarily. I can be in my car, or alone, or singing with my children, and such a love for my God comes over me. 

One of the greatest things I have fostered in my children is a love for music. Now honestly, it has not only been me-my children are incredibly blessed to be surrounded literally, by family who are also wonderfully musical. My brother Philip-and hero to Jackson (and countless others), Rob's Dad (affectionately called Piano-Papa by Jack), my Grandma, my Mom & Dad, the list goes on. Anyone who has the great fortune of spending some time with my children will be entertained by Jackson's medley of "The fever song-Johnny Cash", Jesus Loves Me, Twinkle Twinkle, etc. Jack will often be found simultaneously dancing, playing his guitar and singing, while Gemma accompanies him with claps, head bops to the beat, and chubby baby legs bouncing out the rhythm to her brother's tune. It is great fun, and it fills me with endless joy to know that these babies too have the music bug, and they'll be able to pass it along to their children one day. 

I imagine it gives God great joy to look down on his children, my babies, and watch them worship and sing and dance before him. I imagine He claps His beautiful Creator-of-the-universe hands together, and laughs in delight at Jack and Gemma's little performance. I imagine He looks and me and thinks, well done daughter, well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment